Friday, October 8, 2010

8th - How About a Port?

Not much news to report today, other than the fact that Dr. Frenette is recommending I have a "port" put in next week, prior to beginning my chemotherapy.

The best description I can find of a port is from Wikipedia:
In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septum through which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn many times, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical "needle stick".

I'll post a picture once this thing is in.  For now, here are a couple generic images:

Port-a-Cath with needle assembly inserted.


Chest X-ray showing an implanted port.  Not me, as this guy doesn't look so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment