Thursday, October 14, 2010

14th - Today's Flight to London

Thanks to everyone for the good mojo today.  I got through my first chemo session thanks to you.

In the end, it was the same as the routine flight from Charlotte to London.  Six plus hours long, the other people around you really don't look too healthy, the movie selection is terrible and the food makes you sick to your stomach.  For the frequent flyers in the group, I really wish chemo could be like a nice flight on Singapore Airlines.  Alas, it is too similar to US Airways.

In all seriousness, today's nurse Eileen was fantastic and she got me through with flying colors.  She is the mother of three boys and is from NY state.  Although my Mom is from NJ, they could have been sisters in spirit.  She made it much easier to bear.

Stuart stayed with me most of the time...I nodded off for a while in the beginning after a healthy dose of Benadryl as part of the "pre-chemo regime" and even watched a bit of a movie.  Today's film was Chloe, a racy, rated-R number that was long on nude scenes featuring Amanda Seyfriend, but woefully short on plot.  At least it didn't make me throw-up.

Speaking of nudity, I know I promised a picture of the port, but I think it's best to wait a few days...things are not where they are supposed to be at the moment.

One piece of annoying news today.  I read further into my pathology report and found that my count of CD68+ cells is very high (>25% of the background/benign cells are these macrophage cells).  A recent study about Hodgkin's Lymphoma published in the New England Journal of Medicine linked this "molecular marker" to a poorer prognosis for primary treatment as well as secondary treatment in case of a relapse.

So, all in all, today was a good day.  The chemo went great, but my pathology report is back on the front-burner of my mind.

7 comments:

  1. so glad yesterday was tolerable. i hope you and stuart can find time to rest today and this weekend! y'all are on my mind continuously!

    will the chemo start bringing down the number of CD68+ cells? how often will you get a new report?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deets, I just found out. This is exactly what I had when I was 28. What are the odds of roommates having Hodgkins? I blame Smith and Joyce as we may have been overexposed to hair gel. Please reach out if you ever need to talk. (828)234-0861 or ssparks@cconcepts.com. Good luck and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big D...glad to hear you did well with Round 1. Like the US Air analogy and I hope the video machine is always available to you!
    Think you may be able to use your blogging ability and offer up guest posts on Sam's blog. It needs more substance and Pareto charts.
    If you need anything, or want to have one of those trademark philosophical discussions/rants...call or email. :-)
    704.779.9302 or 704.843.3643 @home

    Cheers...Cheers...Bye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cambre - thanks for the post...things continue to go well. No retest on the CD68+ unfortunately, it's just part of the initial pathology. One more small item to overcome.

    Sparky - the odds have to be astronomical...and what we were exposed to was much more toxic that hair gel. I definitely want to talk, maybe I'll holler over email or phone this weekend.

    Ray - I knew the US Airways analogy would hit home for you. I will guest blog for Sam anytime. I'll be in touch. Cheers...cheers..bye..bye...cheers...bye

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I am in "followership envy." I mean, for crying out loud - I've been going non-stop for almost a year and a half and only have 16 followers. You've already got 21! Dan - the battle is on. I'm thinking Steel Cage match on Pay Per View. Just think about it...that's all I'm sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Strangely enough, I may know Eileen. My Remicade treatments, which were administered much the same as chemo were given by a nurse named Eileen from NY state with sons. She mentioned previously working with chemo patients. Coincidence??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon...could be more than coincidence...maybe Eileen floats from office to office giving out the good mojo. I hope that is the case! Take care.

    ReplyDelete