Wednesday, October 20, 2010

20th - Utterly Unimpressed

Let me start by saying thank you to Sparky for sending me a new copy of Lance Armstrong's book "It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life".  I should also say thank you to Bill, Cathy, Gray and Jamie for the great gifts, in particular the 6-month subscription to Netflix.  How did Blockbuster not see Netflix coming?  Mismanagement for the ages...

The visit with Dr. Frenette today was a good one.  As I mentioned yesterday, we had a long list for him, but he was up to the task.  Most of the symptoms I had did not phase him, in fact, Stuart and I both left reassured by how utterly unimpressed he seems with my cancer.  When I expect my stomach pain to be an exploding organ, he tells me not to be afraid of a little more Prilosec OTC.  When I think losing weight this early in chemo means I am done for, he reassures me "it's the American way to put the weight back on after treatment".  He is the perfect antidote for my obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).  Speaking of my OCD, the word must have already spread throughout Dr. Frenette's office.  As one of nurses was reviewing the results of my blood work with me, she asked me twice if I wanted a copy to take home.  I declined the offer and headed home today feeling positive about both science and my faith.