Wednesday, October 6, 2010

6th - The Jury Is Back

Special thanks again to my Mom, Carol Deets, who delayed her flight from Sunday until today to help with our two children and the house.  I love you Mom!

Today was a very long day.  I had several tests done, met a new oncologist for a second opinion and received my final pathology results from the mediastinoscopy.

Both of the tests I had done were done to establish baselines of organ function prior to chemotherapy.  That is ominous, is it not? The first test was called a pulmonary function test and involved me sitting in a small, enclosed glass booth huffing and puffing on air and gas until I nearly passed out.  Results normal.  The second test was an Echo cardiogram, which is essentially a sonogram that checks heart function.  Results normal.

On a seemingly unrelated note, we have used one of Charlotte's best interior designers, Wanda Horton, a few times.  Upon hearing what I was going through, Wanda mentioned that one of her clients was Charlotte's best oncologist, and we simply needed to see him.  After we confirmed her thought, we met today with one of Charlotte's Best Doctor's 2010, Gary P. Frenette, MD PhD.  Dr. Frenette was fantastic, and although I'm going to feel guilty about leaving Dr. Hellner, I am going to leave my care to Dr. Frenette from here on out.  Thank you Wanda!

The last news of the day was really a foregone conclusion.  Dr. Reames called the house and gave me the final pathology results: Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Nodular Sclerosis subtype.

2 comments:

  1. Dan, I'm so glad you were able to see Gary Frenette and that he will be providing you his care. Gary is not only a brilliant physician, he is an outstanding person. I've worked with Gary and his family for a very long time and have had several friends experience his healing hands. You are too kind in your mention of me. I do believe life has us cross paths for a reason. Count me in as designer, friend, and cheerleader! All my best - Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanda - thank you so much for the introduction to Dr. Frenette. I truly believe that our paths have crossed for a reason. I'm starting 'chemo tomorrow and although very nervous, i know that I'm in great hands.

    ReplyDelete