Wednesday, January 26, 2011

26th - The Goal Line Is In Sight

A big thank you to Stuart's parents, Bill and Cathy, for spending the past few days with us in Charlotte.  It helps tremendously to have extra hands around when I am not feeling well.  Thank you to Bridget Ruller, as always, for being Cooper's favorite babysitter this morning while Stuart and I went to Dr. Frenette's.

Now, on to the best news I have heard in a long, long time.  The results are in from Monday morning's PET/CT scan and things look very good.  No metabolic activity was identified during the scan (a.k.a. no abnormal cell growth).  It also looks like my lymph nodes are about as small as they are going to get.  Those two facts together have led Dr. Frenette to decide I can stop my treatment after 6 months.  Unless something really odd happens, it looks like my last treatment will be on March 17.  I called my Mom on the way home from the doctor's office and she pointed out the obvious irony of the date...St. Patrick's Day...a day of luck (and faith) for any Irishman.

I am so happy at this point, I do not quite know what to do with myself.  It has been all about the "what-if" over the past few months and now I need to start to focus on finishing treatment and on "survivorship".  This is the phase after you survive cancer when you need to readjust to having other priorities in life.  Lance Armstrong put this really well in his book, when he said:

"How do you slip back into the ordinary world?  That was the problem confronting me after cancer, and the old saying, that you should treat each day as if it might be your last, was no help at all.  The truth is, it's a nice sentiment, but in practice it doesn't work.  If I lived only for the moment, I'd be a very amiable no-account with a perpetual three-day growth on my chin."

Further philosophy can wait for another day...today it is an all-out celebration.  Please celebrate with me, you each deserve it for being such wonderful support partners in this so far.

11 comments:

  1. Great news Deets! Reading the latest update was enough to put a smile on my face even after an incredibly awful day at work. Keep 'em coming!

    Looking forward to seeing you soon bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous!!! i am in no way surprised! you have put in a great fight! i am soooo glad you are celebrating! once you get all healthy, i hope to come celebrate with you and stuart! ...will be smiling myself to sleep tonight! another answered prayer! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, that is wonderful news! I am so thrilled for you and the family. Thanks for putting a smile on my face too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WILD CARD!!!!! I mean, let's be honest here, I am NOT a sentimental guy and I have (just a little) work required on my people skills. So what am I supposed to do when I get tears in my eyes after a post like this? Dude, THIS IS EXTRA AWESOME. I am so, SO happy for you. Now to really, REALLY celebrate this moment, I suggest that you hop a flight to the Sing, rock the 300-M, and then take me out for dinner in Clarke Quay. I mean if you won't let Ray come over here and buy me sushi, it's the least you can do, right? Seriously - SO GREAT, BROTHER!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan- Our prayers have been answered! We could not be happier with your results from yesterday. That is quite ironic about the 17th of March as well...good timing! Hope to see you very soon and sending love to you, Stuart and our precious niece and nephew.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big D...congrats on the news. Your logical mind crushed the metric on this one. I must say I liked Sam's sushi line but would take it easy on any street meat that might be in your future. God Bless!

    Cheers...Cheers...bye...bye

    ReplyDelete
  7. TK - I will keep the posts coming. It was great to see you and Tracy the other night for dinner.

    Cambre - It would be wonderful to see you, Blake and the kids when this is all done. Maybe in June when it is warm.

    Wanda - Awesome is an appropriate word indeed.

    Sam - Extra awesome works as well. I will still shoot for Asia in the late Spring and who knows, maybe we can get Ray over to be our Portuguese translator in Macau.

    Sam & Doug - so good to see you both, as well as Alyssa, the other night. Keep the good prayers coming.

    Ray - thanks for the note. There will be no street meat...there never was. Talk to you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent News Dan - so pleased for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie - thank you for keeping me in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dan, OUTSTANDING news! Very uplifting.

    ReplyDelete