Tuesday, January 11, 2011

11th - Reflections From Halfway

Well folks, I am glad to say that treatment #7 is squarely in the rear-view mirror.  As I have said before, I do believe my treatment will be 6 months long rather than the normal 8 months, but in either case I am somewhere near the halfway point.  The nurses at Dr. Frenette's office have started to ask me how long it has been...which is a sure sign that I have logged some serious hours with them.

As I reflect on what I have learned so far, a few things come readily to mind:
  • I have a wife that loves me unconditionally and has never doubted that I will be cured (even if I have at times)
  • Young children do not get the credit they deserve; they do "understand what is going on" and amplify their love and attention accordingly
  • You are always someone's son or daughter, no matter how old you are
  • If you are extremely lucky, "work" is not just a place you go to earn a paycheck, it becomes an extension of your family
  • When someone asks if they can help you, "yes" is most often the right answer
  • Life is short enough, never treat it like a race

4 comments:

  1. Big D! Happy new year, brother! Sorry I've been away from harassing you on your blog lately, but I'm back on form now. Seriously - the Orange Bowl did NOT make me happy, but all in all VT CANNOT complain about that season (especially after that start). Great post, by the way - spot on from soup to nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam - Happy New Year to you as well. I hope you guys are settled into the new place in Singapore to some degree. I'll have to get over to your blog and catch up. The VT season was nothing to complain about, although we need to decide if all the pursuit of a national championship talk is just hot air or not. I mean, we did install an empty case to house the thing 10 years ago...maybe someone should sneak in and take it out.

    ReplyDelete