Wednesday, December 8, 2010

8th - Great News

As most of you know, I had an interim PET & CT scan on Monday morning.  Stuart and I went to Dr. Frenette's office this morning to hear the results and got great news.  The scan showed no new tumors and reduced size and metabolic activity in the previously documented areas.  In fact, the radiologist (Dr. Shah) put this in his report; "currently, no evidence of metabolically active disease is identified".  Dr. Frenette's quote was that the results were "as good as he hoped for, maybe better".

Frankly, it took me a while today to get into the spirit of the news.  I have been obsessing about this scan for weeks and was prepared for the worst, so please do not blame me.  I thought for sure that the nurse / assistant in the radiology department forgot to give me the nuclear medicine or something.  As the day wore on though, I realized it was real and I could not feel better.  It is a long road ahead, but I will take that over being in the ditch.

Treatment #5 of 12 is tomorrow and my mind is starting to think about the 50% complete mark (I am still convinced I will be done in 6 months, rather than 8 months).  My next PET & CT scan will be after my fourth cycle in February.

Thank you and your families for your thoughts and prayers, as they have clearly been working and lifted me up so far!  Please keep up the great work.

12 comments:

  1. what a relief to hear from you this morning! so glad you received good news. thinking of you and looking forward to hearing the details!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome news Dan! You and the family continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Wonderful news. I've been thinking of you all day. I was so glad to see an update here. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome News Dan, you continue to be in our thoughts and funnily enough Andy McGuire and I were talking about your blog today and how positive you are and that you had this scan on Monday so am really glad that it has been good news, keep winning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! So glad to hear this news. :) I'm sure it was music to your ears, for the both of you. Roger and I will be sure to keep up the cheering section!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome Dan! I know how you are on metrics so facing 5 of 12 already is definitely GREEN! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great News!!! You're just like another Danny Coale!!! How about those Hokies??!! Keep fighting the good fight...... Greg Holsinger

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful...wonderful... Dan.... very glad to hear the good result, had been waiting for you update on this. Best for the rest...Kunal

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Dan! I was going to send you a note about the Hokies win over my Noles, but this is MUCH, MUCH more exciting! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for the encouraging comments!
    Cambre - I've got another blog entry brewing, maybe tomorrow
    Tina - thank you, I can feel the good thoughts
    Shelley - the necklace has helped on quite a few nights
    Katie - keep Andy in line please
    Wanda - I love the Woo Hoo and I have you to thank for bringing us to Dr. Frenette
    TK - I am looking forward to a Hokie game next season already
    Ray - I think it is Green across the board...let's get through these tollgates!
    Jason - I assume you've got the next big innovation coming to buoy the stock price
    Greg - I will take the comparison to Danny Coale...Jarrett Boykin is probably a stretch
    Kunal - I've been thinking a lot about your wedding and I can't wait to see pictures
    Steve - finally, finally

    ReplyDelete