Wednesday, December 15, 2010

15th - Like a Baby...Only Adult Size

Today marked two months from my first chemo treatment.  I feel like I have matured 10 years mentally, thinking and prioritizing things quite differently than I used to.  It is hard to express at the moment, but I will share with you when I am able.

Treatment #5 of 12 was last Thursday and everything went okay.  I briefly met a new nurse named Ann before falling asleep (for 4 hours) in the treatment chair.  Ann is an instant favorite, as she managed to give me all my infusions without waking me up.  There is still a nationwide shortage of Adriamycin (the "Red Devil" / "Red Angel"), but Dr. Frenette's office received a shipment just in time for me.  I feel better knowing that I am getting the real protocol, rather than a substitute like last time. 

On the subject of the substitute protocol, you will recall me mentioning that I thought it accelerated my hair loss.  Either that was true, or it was just time for it to come off.  After returning from the barber shop today, I got the following reactions from the family:

Stuart - I don't think it looks that different.  Is it soft and fuzzy?
Cooper (3) - You look silly (as he throws himself to the floor laughing)
Peyton (6) - (holding her hands 12 inches apart vertically) You look like a baby...only adult size

Here are a couple of my favorite pictures from the adventure:

The Barbershop Mohawk

The New Me














They say that sometimes when your hair grows back, it is drastically different than it used to be.  Here are a few possibilities for your voting pleasure...let me know which one you like, and I will do my best.

The "Owen Wilson"

The "Patrick Dempsey"
a.k.a. "McDreamy"

The "Commander in Chief"



The side-effects of the treatments are certainly feeling more cumulative, as many warned.  It just takes longer to feel better after each one.  Nausea, fatigue and the numbness in my feet remain the chief complaints.

I will tell you what though, it is a lot easier to deal with all this now that I know for sure I am getting better.

11 comments:

  1. love the owen wilson.... I was advised to google you to get your blog. as an fyi - you come up in top 10 on a google search under daniel deets, # 1 spot on daniel j deets. not to be a stalker or anything. glad to see your spirits are up! you are definitely missed and look forward to seeing you soon - with the owen wilson :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My vote goes to the OW too.

    Glad to hear you're getting the Adriamycin this go around. Congrats on being two months into the full eradication of your cancer. Stay strong Deets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine - I may have to "monetize" this thing with some ads if I'm hot on google search. Also, was kicking around the idea of lunch tomorrow in Ballantyne with Sam, Ray, etc...see you there?

    Tina - so good to hear from you...the early voting says the owen wilson...interesting. Have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No way.. Definitely the Obama look.. the ears really complete the persona as well! Glad that things are going well Dan, look forward to catching up tomorrow in Ballantyne!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about the new Johnny Depp look in "The Tourist"....might be good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan,

    Those aren't bad. As is, the Clarke's vote for "ObamaDan". If additional options are available, we'd like to see both the Dan "Beiber" Deets and the Dan "Brady" Deets views. We have a hunch that Beiber would kill it.

    Grayson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Owen Wilson look and ur kids reactions brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan, I laughed out loud at the "options". My vote is for the Patrick Dempsey. I mean, if you're going to go different, you mind as well really go for it! :) Hopefully we'll get to see you all in the next week or so!
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrew - I thought the Obama would be more popular as well.
    Cathy - I will add a Johnny Depp to my next posting
    Grayson - The Bieber is getting a few requests, but you'll have to be more specific about the "Brady"
    Katie - good to hear from you
    Sam - looking forward to seeing you as well over the next couple weeks. Enjoy Christmas with the family.
    Cheryl - please don't buy a new subscription just for me. Stuart warned me I'm on my soon, so I've prepared mentally and financially!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let me add my vote to OW. It looks great. Glad to hear things are going well. Happy Holiday!
    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good day to all am Valeria Miguel Ángel From USA..Texas am so happy sharing this great testimony on here, I was diagnose of Stage IV colon cancer.i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr Itua the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous Diseases such as-Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicityBladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Pancreative Cancer,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,
    Testicular cancer,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Throat cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. ,so I contacted him base on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him today through his email he can help you..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and his herbal medicines will set you free from any human diseases,all thank to you Dr Itua for your kindly help in my life his Mobile number Whatsapp.+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete