Friday, March 18, 2011

18th - Treatment #12 of 12 Done

Pending a clean/negative PET&CT scan on April 11th, my treatment for Hodgkin's Lymphoma is 100% complete.

My sincere thanks to all of you for your support throughout my treatment.  I would not have gotten through it in such a positive way without you.  Thank you also to Ray Tavares and Moe Cieri for taking me to lunch this past week.  Being with friends is always helpful and appreciated.

Before I sign off, a few statistics from the last couple of weeks:

7 lbs 9 ounces -
My younger brother, Doug, and his wife Samantha welcomed their second child into the world on March 11th.  Beau Dillon Deets was born at ~7:45 AM at Presbyterian Hospital in Charlotte, NC.  One of the big questions with Deets Children is whether or not they will win the recessive gene lottery and have shocking red hair or not.  So far, it looks like Beau may take after his mother and have brown hair.

1 in 20 -
The number of Americans that is a cancer survivor.  This number has thankfully been rising over the past decade, due to improved early detection, better treatment protocols and I believe the shrinking stigma associated with having cancer.

1 in 1,000,000 -
The odds of my Virginia Tech Hokies ever making the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament.  Sadly, the Hokies were left out of the field for the 4th year in a row, despite having a pretty good resume.  Good luck to the team in the NIT (a.k.a. Not Invited (to the NCAA) Tournament).